Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Syrup, our favorite morning sugar

We go through a lot of syrup around here.  I have two kids, and a husband who all eat syrup almost every morning.  I hate feeding them all of those chemicals and spending all that money.  My mom found a recipe for homemade syrup, so yes, I too made some homemade syrup.  Super easy and surprisingly tasty.

This only took me a few minutes and made about 16 oz (I doubled the recipe).  Water, sugar, corn syrup and Imitation Maple flavoring.  I didn't do the exact math but this recipe only costs cents to make.  Now I am excited to mess with the recipe and try to cut or substitute some of the sugar. Any suggestions? 

2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Water
1 teaspoon Maple Extract

Bring water and sugar to a slow boil Over low heat, stirring constantly.  Don't let it come to a rolling boil as that would cause crystals.  Remove.from heat.  As it cools, add the flavoring.  Transfer to a storage container.  Store in the refrigerator.  For thicker syrup replacenhalf.of the water with corn syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment